Saturday, May 09, 2009

Monka

I'm behind in posts and do plan to get caught up the blog - but not tonight.


My Mom, also known as Grandma Suzy and also by Monka (Addison's preference) has always been the most selfless person on the planet. I know that I noticed this trait of hers at a relatively young age. She was a wife who raised three kids in a house full of pets (that of course, she took care of) her needs/wants were served last; if at all. Never once did she complain or remind us of this - she plugged along because it was what "needed to be done." So here I am thirty years old and she's still putting mine and now my family's needs before hers.

My Mom took a leave of absence from work to spend a month in Minnesota and even more time in Alaska to take care of my daughter and I. She's done everything from cooking, cleaning, bathing, entertaining, teaching, packing, unpacking, to lifting and bandaged for over a month. I'm stuck laying around watching the world go by; but I'm okay with it because I know that my Mom has got everything handled.


While I was in the hospital in Minnesota, Addison was completely unaware of my absence. She had Monka's full attention. When I returned to the hotel Addison was happy to see me, but Monka was still number one. Grandmothers are special, special people and I think it is terrific that Addison can appreciate hers. It warmed my heart to watch two of my favorite ladies form a bond that will last a lifetime.


When I left the hospital a few weeks ago, it was as if I had regressed many, many years . . . There was my Mom - helping me to get dressed/shower/even brush my teeth. She even made my meals and bandaged my 'owies," - but at a time like this, no one can take care of you the way your Mommy can . . . . So here I am, a Mother myself and I still rely on mine for so much. While I will be able to get dressed again on my own very soon, I'll still need her as my Best Friend.


Mon'ka's Birthday is on May 10th, which just happens to fall on Mothers Day most years. If I didn't know better, I would say she picked to have her birthday on this very day just so she wouldn't be the center of attention on more than one day. I on the other hand, feel like she was robbed. My Mom deserves WAAAAAAAYYYY more than one or two days . . . . In fact I cannot think of a Birthday or Mothers Day gift that shows how much I appreciate all she's done during my life - and especially during this part. But I promise that I'll find a way . . . I don't know when - but I will.

1 comment:

Staci said...

I think that as mothers ourselves, we can finally understand the sacrifice that comes with the job, and the immense joy that sacrifice brings. Your mom is an incredible woman for sure, and I know that she has truly enjoyed the time that she is getting to regress herself, both with you and with your baby. YOU and ADDISON are her gift, Kristen. Silly girl... you know that =).