Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Extra Mayo

So we made it to Rochester, Minnesota took the tests and they WIPED. ME. OUT.


The three-hour time change actually worked in our favor . . . I was at the Mayo at 3:00am Alaska time and back at the hotel by 11:00am Minnesota time. Which means Addison slept the entire time I was gone and never knew I was away. The only bummer was that meant I had to keep up with her after 4-5 (and less depending on what I had to face the next day) hours of sleep. But with Sean's help and motivation we made it with no meltdowns (on Addison's or my part).



Addison really seemed to enjoy being at the hotel. She slept like a champ, got quite accustomed to eating out (she'll never eat my 'cooking' again) and loved the attention she received from strangers (hotel employees and guests).


Rochester and Minnesota in general may be home to the friendliest people in the world. I loved it! The hotel employees did their very best to make the hotel feel like home and help us in anyway they could. The Guests at the hotel were also great. The atmosphere was more like dorm-living. Most everyone who was there was there for the same reason as I and you immediately formed a bond with those people. That said please include a super special couple, Yvonne and Tom in your prayers. I'm not going to go into any detail, but they sure could use a little extra help these days.

As far as my tests go I also don't want to bore or even gross anyone out with them - but they were NOT pleasant. I did find out that I do have PVNS, along with three other issues with my hip. The Doctor said I have "massive amounts of PVNS" and I just like to throw that in to make me sound tough!

Best News: My Main Doc is not concerned about cancer. He explained that they'll still do a biopsy - but at this time he is not worried. YEA!!

Next step: One month to six weeks in Minnesota and a pretty crazy surgery. One doctor to remove the tumors and my "Main Doc" to fix the other stuff and rebuild my hip. There is also a chance that a second surgery will be done one month after the main surgery. I'll be down and out for quite awhile with a year for recovery. Not sure how I'm going to handle being laid up. I'm used to being with Addison ALL. OF. THE. TIME. So I'm not sure how I'm going to handle a few days in the hospital and weeks of laying around. That part scares me way more than any of the actual surgery and procedures.

On the bright side, the Mayo Clinic was amazing!! It is HUGE, yet you feel like you're the only patient they're taking care of. There were hundreds of patients at the clinic and probably 30 people behind the scenes working for each one. It was just unreal. They've got the system down, which of course, only increases my confidence in them and in my surgeons. I know that they'll do everything they can to get me back on my feet and playing with my favorite little girl!

1 comment:

Kelly T said...

oh my word Kristen. I am so sorry to hear of all this. We both have had our share of hospital time, but Lacy's was just one AWFUL week, and we got a clear bill of health. I am happy to hear that one, you found a GREAT place to treat you, 2-doesn't look like cancer!!!!!!, and 3-seem to have a very good outlook on it. I will be praying for you so much...yeah, lots of difficult details for sure. So, update this blog when you can as I will be praying!!!(and checking in with Shannon M. too:) OH- and GOOD point about danger in an emergency-that literally made my stomach flip. SOOO needed to get it checked!!! Take care. God Bless.